Friday, February 22, 2008

I made it onto the Podium!


That was my goal for this competition because I was so close at my last comp in Korea. And I came 2nd!

I had some difficulty with the snow changing in qualifying so just scraped through in 13th position. This meant I had to fight in every heat to get in from the worst start gate.


In my first heat, I was in 4th going into the first turn, I passed into 3rd going around the 2nd turn and then into 2nd further down the course, I kept that position the rest of the way down. One girl got close to passing me just before the finish but she didn’t manage it.


The second heat was another interesting one, I was in 4th into the first turn again, the girl in front of me messed up on one of the jumps so I passed her in the following turn which put me in 3rd. I did the same move just before the finish that the girl had tried to do to me in my last heat but I succeeded where she hadn’t and I got into 2nd which qualified me for the final!


I got into 3rd going into the first turn. I had to keep the girl I had passed behind me while trying to catch the 2 in front of me. I passed Lyndsey Jacobellis (Olympic silver medallist) half way down and I held second place the remainder of the course, I got close to the leader (Maelle Ricker) at the end but not quite close enough to pass.


So I got silver! It’s the first time I have been on the podium for a good while and it feels great!


I am off to Lake Placid tomorrow for the next world cup. I have just finished packing.


Only one place further up to go!

No comments: